On the right is my favorite thrifted corduroy skirt. It’s so comfy, warm, and even flattering, I wanted to copy it. So I kept my eye out for some corduroy – either at Joann’s, the thrift store, or even an old corduroy jumper. In the end, that’s what I found, so the challenge was to see if I could get it all the pieces out of the old jumper.
First, I un-picked all the seams, rather than cutting them from the cloth – I knew I would need every 1/2 inch. Then I copied the skirt onto newspaper to make the pattern. I did all this while watching a few episodes of ‘Christy’.
Next I figured out how to lay out my pattern pieces out so I could get the most out of my cloth. The neat thing about the skirt is that it’s pieced together from a dozen different shapes, each cut at a different angle to the grain. I figured that’s what gave the original skirt it’s lovely fit and drape, so I made sure to follow the grain as I pinned my pieces down.
I fit all 12 pattern pieces, using every inch of that jumper. I had to piece a few of the edges, but I figured a few more seams would just look like part of the design. The top photo shows all the scraps I had left over – the pockets and a few slivers! On the top left are my skirt pieces all cut out.
Sewing it together took less time than cutting it out, despite all the seams and top-stitching. I did a good job on copying the pattern, for it went together well, and fit with only a few adjustments!
The reason I loved this skirt enough to spend over 8 hours recreating it, is ’cause it’s so long! At 5’9″, it’s rare for me to find a skirt that hits my ankles. I wear the blue one so much, I knew I wanted more of the same.
Here I am, delighted with my new skirt! 🙂 I will continue to be on the look out for old corduroy clothing!