I am indebted to my dear mother-in-law for not only teaching me to make tortillas – something I’ve wanted to do for years – but also loaning me her tortilla maker whenever I want to make a batch!
This is her showing me the first time. Here is her recipe:
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Measure liquids into mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not stiff. Let stand 10 minutes. Shape the dough into 8-10 2 inch balls. Let rest while tortilla press preheats. Using the tortilla maker, place ball of dough slightly of the center of the tortilla maker, close the lid, and using the large handle, give one firm press until you hear the air start to squeak. Once you hear the squeak, release pressure and open lid. Allow tortilla to cook about 30 seconds on each side.
That is the recipe from Bread Beckers, Inc. It took a little experimenting to actually have good success, so here are our pointers…
1. To soak my dough, I mix all ingredients and add a tablespoon or two of yogurt or whey to aid in the breakdown of the flour. I set my dough on the counter with a tight lid (you don’t want the dough to dry out) for 7 hours prior to baking.
3. Preheat your tortilla maker for at least 15 minutes.
4. Keep the dough covered until you cook it – it’s important that the dough be moist, or you won’t be able to press the tortillas thin enough.
6. It helps to flatten the balls a bit in your hands before placing them on the press.
7. cook them just until they’re ‘dry’ – not brown. This will ensure your tortillas stay moist and flexible. I store mine in a ziplock bag in the fridge, and they are good till we eat them up – usually a week.
Here is Anneke preparing the dough for me. I did the pressing ’cause it really takes a heavy hand to get them flat. We actually didn’t achieve very thin tortillas last night, due to me adding too much flour again. We’ll get it right next time! They still tasted just as good. Anneke always begs me to ‘shatter’ one so we can taste test while they cook! 🙂
Once you have made your yummy tortillas, you will want a yummy filling. I will share my latest favorite recipe with you next time!